March 6, 2011

Review: Nylabones


I've been buying Nylabones for years, and I find them ideal for curbing destructive chewing habits, easing boredom, and keeping teeth in good shape.
There are so many varieties of Nylabone toys that it can sometimes seem overwhelming to anyone purchasing them for their dog(s). Start out by considering your dog; size, personality, & chewing style. (Nylabone provides this chart, if you need extra help.)
I have the best results with plain ol' Nylabones. (Souper size, original flavor. Flavored ones wore out much faster than I liked.) For Isabella, who is an aggressive chewer, I tend to lean toward the Dura Chew sub-type. - (Edit: I do not care for the healthy edibles sub-type. These don't last long for Isabella and we end up with chunks broken off.)

Above is what's known as a Rhino, also made by Nylabones. They are a strong, barely flexible material (not at all like Nylabone's Flexi-chews!) and for whatever reason this was not a hit with Isabella. I paid a decent price for this particular toy and she has ignored it from the get go. I'm not sure of the basis for her dislike of this toy, but she wants nothing to do with it. (Edit: This toy ended up going to one of my parents' dogs. Bubby (A.K.A my main man) simply adores this bone and loves to chase it. To each dog their own, I suppose!

Moving on to safety concerns....
Like any toy, Nylabones carry risks if not used properly. There is no such thing a completely safe toy.
Nylabone says pieces no larger than a grain of rice can be ingested without issue, and in fact, the idea behind Nylabones is to wear down the edges a little bit to better help clean teeth.
Make sure you're buying the appropriate size for your dog. Don't buy one that's too small simply because it's cheaper! If you're providing your dog with a bone that's too small it will increase the chance of your dog biting off pieces that can be harmful. 

Aggressive chewers should not be left unattended with any toys - Nylabones included. As another risk commonly associated with these toys are broken teeth. I try to pay close attention to how rough Isabella is chewing, intervening if I think she's getting too overzealous.

As for when to toss Nylabones? I say, listen to your gut. If you feel like it might be worn down a bit too much - toss it! I would rather be safe than sorry when it comes to my dogs.
I have never had a problem with Nylabone products, nor do I know anyone who has. Our vote? They're in our home to stay. (Edit: In my comment section you will find a couple less than positive experiences, don't forget to give those a read as well. Fair is fair, afterall!)

4 comments:

  1. Nylabones is very useful for the happy dogs. Its very useful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your opinion, but I have to respond. I purchased the souper size bacon flavor bone for our 17 week old Golden Retriever puppy. (I didn't want to get too small for fear of him breaking off a piece or swallowing it whole.) He has been doing what all puppies do, chewing constantly. These bones were recommended, because the vet did not want us to use real bones or any rawhide materials, and his chewy toys (stuffed KONG and etc.) don’t keep his interest. He had the bone for less than 5 minutes, when we heard him struggling. Thankfully, we were with him in the same room. He was choking, digging at his mouth, and the end of the bone was gone. Both my husband and I are Paramedics and we have taken and taught pet resuscitation classes. We started doing the Heimlich procedure without results. Although, they tell people not to reach in mouths to remove foreign bodies, that is what we had to do. Thankfully, we were able to get the bone out and our baby did not die. The bone fragment was soggy and that is why it did not come out with the Heimlich. These bones ARE NOT EDIBLE and EXTREMELY DANGEROUS! I figured Dug would scrape off shavings and the bone would be eaten over weeks, not in less than 5 minutes. Obviously, their quality control measures needs some work. I am never using their products again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Within the first five minutes of giving the Nylabone to my dog, I noticed there was blood all over the bone where it had torn up her gums. She is a very aggressive chewer (why I got the bone in the first place) but this bone is supposedly made for an aggressive chewer. Needless to say, I won't be buying these again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear about the issues some of you have had. Hdostie, were the ones you purchased marked "edible?" If so, I have actually only tried those once myself and did not care for them. Isabella had it in pieces and was trying to swallow chunks. That was a worry for me, as I had another dog in the past choke on rawhide (before I knew better, excuse that naivety) and had to follow the same measures as you and your husband. It can be so scary. I certainly do not blame you for not wanting to purchase any more, I am sure I wouldn't either in your position.

    Jennifer, I had the same experience with my Rott mix. I simply could not trust her with chew treats at all. She would have her gums bleeding in no time flat. Fortunately, I've not had this same issue with any other fur babies. (Yet.) While Isabella is an aggressive chewer as well, she has yet to cut her gums. I always attributed it to my Rott having an issue with her teeth and gums to begin with. Either way, we have to do what works and is best for us! I hope you have managed to find a replacement toy for your girl, if you have, I'd love to hear about it. I'm always on the look out for new toys, treats, etc..

    ReplyDelete